Sunday 13 March 2011

Venturing into unknown territory....

So Ive been wanting to try my hand at quilting for ages and have spent the last 4 months or so reading up about it, buying books, asking daft questions and watching loads of you tube videos.  Problem is that I still dont know if I "get" it.  When I see a beautiful quilt it completely puzzles me as to how on earth the fabrics have all been put together and how the wadding has been so perfectly sandwiched without a wrinkle in sight.  I figured that the only way to find out was to take the plunge so Ive taken the first step (of many) and bought a layer cake with some gorgeous fabric that I came across by chance when reading one of my fave blogs Muffins and More.    Its called Pure  and is designed by Sweetwater (you need to click the picture to get a bigger image).  I love the colours and the patterns and as I have recently developed a love for fabric with text on it, it was absolutely perfect.    Its not the most girlie of colour palettes but I really like it anyway.  Now I just need to pluck up the courage to do something with it!   As some of you will know Im struggling with space at the moment so I might have to wait until we move house before I can start it properly - by then Ill have my very own craft room - yay!!.  Big thanks to the girls over at MSE who have been exceptionally helpful answering all my stupid questions and giving me some suggestions on good beginners projects.


 Im also going to try my hand with hexies and my lovely blog friend Tina  has cut me some templates to get me started (thanks Tina!)   Go and check out Tinas blog over at Scratchy Cat Crafter.  She is one very talented lady.

Also wanted to say a huge thank you to Sue over at Harts Corner (another favourite blog of mine) who sent me an adorable fabric ring tray the other day which will come in very handy given my recent engagement.  Its made from gorgeous waffle fabric and is lovely.  I cant post a piccie as Tim has nicked the SD card from my camera (the piccie above is just from a URL link.)  Thanks again Sue.

Anyhoo, thats all my news for the moment.  Havent done any sewing for a quite a few weeks as been spending most of my free time blog hopping, watching quilting videos and eating chocolate but will hopefully get back into it again soon.  Hope you are all well. 

Pootleflump xxx

8 comments:

  1. I too spent ages researching quilting, but I couldn't get my head round it! So I kinda cheated and did my easier version of quilting, I'm still really pleased with it! And I love the fabrics you have chosen, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm tackling my first grown up quilt as well. Good on ya for taking the plunge.I want to say that there is no such thing as a stupid question when your learning! So don't be afraid to ask away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the quilting cant wait to see how you get on with it. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claire, you can do it! I was so scared to try that I never did until last November. I finally just said to myself, nothing ventured, nothing gained and whose gonna know if I mess up anyway unless I tell them! I am so happy that I just jumped in there. You will get the hang of it very quickly. One of the biggest secrets to making it "work" is to just keep those 1/4 inch seams even! Moda Bakeshop has a ton of free patterns and a lot of them are great for beginners. They go step by step and tell you how much fabrics you need and how to cut them. You can take a peek at ModaBakeshop (dot) com. I can't wait to see your first quilt!

    XOXO,

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Cyndi.... grab your fabric and get going. Love 'Pure' by the way... I've got 4 charm packs stashed.
    Moda Bakeshop is a great place to go for your first pattern. Hope you'll post your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Claire, Missouri Quilt Co has some great You tube videos on making quilts from pre-cut fabrics like charm squares and layer cakes. There's also ones for half square triangles and things and Jenny makes it so easy :). Lol, I still haven't quilted my grandsons quilt but at least I've put the front together after watching these videos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will be ok making the quilt Claire, you do some beautiful sewing :) Once you have made this one you will wonder why you left it so long lol.
    I just love the Moda Pure fabric :)
    Sue xx
    P.S. so glad you like the tray :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking to me. I was already really puzzled how it came about that I get new followers without even writing any posts ... :-)

    Am very curious what you will make out of the fabric!!!

    I sill have not completely decided what to do with mine. I have a scrap project ... but first I have to "produce" scraps. :-D
    I also have one project ... but there is more fabric ... so ...
    Guess I will have to mull it over some more ...

    ReplyDelete